Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM lens testing

It's been a while since I did not update my blog. Recently, I'm lucky to get my hands on the Siggy 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM. I'm so excited to test it out during my trip to Legoland!!
The design of the lens is similar to my previous 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS MACRO HSM which I had sold it off due to its poor low light performance at longer focal length. The autofocus speed is as slightly faster than the 17-70 and it does not seems to have zoom creep problem. I dont see much impact of OS on the photos as claimed by the Sigma for its 3-4 stop Image Stabilization capabilities. The OS on the lens is always activated by half pressing the shutter release although you have turn it off from the switch.
The image is generally much sharper than 17-70 IMHO. Here I posted a sample photo with its 100% crop on the center.

ISO 800 | 32mm | f/2.8 | 1/2500s
100% crop from the center
I shot this wide open just to test the sharpness. This is the reason why you would spent so much for a f/2.8 fix aperture zoom lens. You can see the details is well preserved although I'm using D90 body so you might expect some color noise. However, sharpness do depends on focus accuracy and reasonable shutter speed to prevent handshake.


ISO 400 | 36mm | f/2.8 | 1/40s

100% crop from the center
The picture above I have taken at a cafe at Jonker Street, Melacca. I have add in some preset filters in Lightroom to the photos just to match the theme. At first glance at the camera LCD, I thought I had the shot. The radio which I had focus suffer from a bit of ghosting especially the wording part. My shutter speed was not fast enough to tackle my handshake even with the help of OS.

I shows few of the photos during my trip below:-

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment